Dun dun dun….Brace yourself for a roll-out of recipes this week; I’m really feeling it.
For starters, allow me to introduce what I’ve been craving/eating this week; I call it “The Sweet and Sour and Spicy”
It’s bomb, I would encourage you to consider that balsamic could actually be a kick a$$ complement to horseradish…because, as I found accidentally—it is.
Not to mention, with the fiber in the beans, the protein in the nuts, the probiotic of the sauerkraut, and the healthy fats in the avocado, this salad will keep your tummy full and happy for hours.
It’s also a great, quick , and uplifting meal to make and take to work—if you do, save the dressing for mealtime.
Without further adu—
The Sweet and Sour and Spicy
What’s In It:
- ~ 2 Cups Organic, Chopped Greens *
- 4 Tbl Refried Black Beans
- 1/2 Large Avocado
- 2 Pinches Raw Sauerkraut**
- Handful of Raw Walnuts, Chopped
- Balsamic Vinegar to taste
- Horseradish to taste***
- Squeezed Lemon (optional)
*Unless you’re the anomaly who likes stems all up in their throat.
** I purchased this raw sauerkraut at Whole Foods. It is rather pricy (7.50) but I have to say, delicious and good for you, as it is a natural probiotic (aka it’s loaded with the good bacteria that helps your belly. This salad would, however, still be bomb without it.
***I love horseradish, but cannot recommend this brand (“Beaver”) in particular. It is delicious, but contains High Fructose Corn Syrup, which I missed on my label-check. Look for one without if it is available!
How to Whip it Up:
1. Put your chopped greens in a bowl. Add spoons of black beans, and avocado to greens.
2. Add chopped nuts to the mix. Squeeze the (optional) lemon onto the delicious goodness.
3. Add 2 big pinches of sauerkraut.
4. Last but not least, add a small dollop of horseradish. Seriously though; this stuff is POWERFUL. Less is definitely more before you taste it! Mix it through the salad with your fork, when its time to eat.
5. Dress with balsamic vinegar to your taste.
6. Give thanks to all these awesome veggies for given’ their lives so you can thrive, and enjoy.